The governing body of Birkby Infant and Nursery School has 12 governor positions. A list of current governors is below.
- Dr A Williams – Chair (Co-opted Governor)
- Mrs D Wilson – Head Teacher
- Mrs S Khan – Parent Governor
- Mr S Saeed – Parent Governor
- Mrs J Hinchliffe – Staff Governor
- Miss C Moscardini – Staff Governor
- Ms K Westeman – Co-opted Governor
- Mrs M Whalley – Co-opted Governor
- Mrs A Stopher – Co-opted Governor
- Mr S Ullah – Co-opted Governor
- Mrs S Hadji-Lary – Co-opted Governor
A governor’s term of office is 4 years.
- Mr J Morley – Co-opted Governor
- Mrs S Goler – Co-opted Governor
- Dr M Ali – Local Authority Governor
- Mrs E Walsh – Previous Staff Governor
We are all volunteers who are proud of the school and the community it serves, and aim to make a positive contribution to the school and the education of all its children.
The governing body’s overriding responsibility is to work in partnership with the Headteacher, whom we appoint, to promote the continuous improvement in the performance of the school. We play an important part in raising school standards through our three key roles:
- setting strategic direction
- ensuring accountability
- monitoring and evaluating school performance.
The full governing body usually meets twice a term. Our committees, which cover issues relating to behaviour, curriculum, staffing, safeguarding, building maintenance and finances, meet at least once a term. The governing body makes collective decisions.
As a body, we elect a Chair and Vice Chair and also Chairs for each of our committees.
Parent Governors are elected when a vacancy arises, by a ballot of eligible parents. Local Authority Governors are selected by the governing body from a list of governors appointed by the local authority. Co-opted Governors are appointed by the governing body. Staff governors are drawn from both teaching and non teaching staff and are elected by the staff.
The agendas and minutes of our meetings are made available to the local authority and are at the school for anyone to read via the school office. We do, however, maintain the right to confidentiality where appropriate. Non governors may attend meetings at the invitation of the governing body.